nyc BLOG estate

nyc BLOG estate

NYC Building Super | Live-In-Super

 NYC Building Super | Live-in-Super

In apartment buildings with nine or more units located in New York City, the landlord must provide janitorial/superintendent services him/herself if he/she lives in the building or the building with a superintendent who physically lives in the building, or if the superintendent does not live in the building, provide a superintendent who lives within 200 feet or one block of the building (whichever distance is greater). 

The name of the building owner, superintendent or janitorial company must be posted in the lobby along with a telephone number (as janitorial/superintendent services must be made available on a 24-hour basis).

A super can provide many services. In small buildings often supers are plumbers and can fix things on the spot. It is common to tip the super. In a large building the super can do repairs but can also oversee a staff that can perform various duties.

There is often confusion in condos and coops what the super will do. I live in a large coop. The super's title in my building is Building Manager. He supervises a large staff including porters, handy-men, doormen and concierge staff. The building manager runs the building and is involved with it's daily operations, repairs and maintenance. Small jobs like replacing a toilet part or a faucet can cost hundreds of dollars less, a tip as opposed to what a plumbing company would charge you.

Managing agents come and go. Board members come and go but a good super is hard to find. In many buildings including mine the shareholders or owners will purchase an apartment for the super.

A good super can make a big difference in how a building is run. 


No comments

All related comments are welcome. Spam will be deleted.

Powered by Blogger.