The City is closely monitoring Hurricane Sandy, which is expected to begin affecting New York City Sunday. For the latest Sandy forecasts, visit the National Weather Service or the National Hurricane Center.
- If you live in a low-lying area and have concerns about flooding or prolonged power loss, consider staying with friends or family outside the affected area.
- If you cannot stay with family or friends, shelters will be available in public schools around the city and will open at 9 AM, Sunday, October 28.
- All evacuation centers have at least one entrance usable for wheelchairs. If you require further information, you can call 311 or visit the MOPD website, which will also provide information about accessible transportation.
- If you cannot reach a shelter by yourself, call 311 for help with transportation.
- Find out what zone you live in and the location of your nearest evacuation center/shelter.
The NYC Severe Weather website can be accessed by people who are blind or have low vision through software, such as JAWS. If you are having trouble accessing this site, please call 311.